BYOD, short for English Bring Your Own Device is more and more common situation, in which you use your own device (smartphones, laptops, tablets, etc.) even for the company purpose. BYOD is quite a controversial topic and the opinions are often very polarized.
Advantages of the situation, in which BYOD is permitted:
- Company show itself as more attractive for the employees
- Increase of the mobility and flexibility, e.g. higher efficacy of the employees
- Cost saving for providing devices on the company side
Disadvantages of the situation, in which BYOD is permitted:
- More complicated and demanding maintenance of security policy in the organization
- More demanding support of all different devices
- Higher risk of company’s data leaks via the devices to which employee has an owner rights
BYOD has impact on both technology and legislation area, for example:
- Who owns the device?
- Who owns the data?
- Who manage data flow?
- How to safely remove the date from the device upon employee leave?